Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Kickin' Intervals

6 minute @ 9:40 pace x 4 doesn't sound too intense but it sure feels it! It was humid last night so I was banished to the treadmill yet again. This was my first run after my half marathon. I felt pretty good and yes it's still hard to knock out 35 minutes on the treadmill no matter how far I run outside. The last set of intervals I did were four minutes with a 2 minute recovery and those felt tough. I have been doing intervals at a 9:10 to 9:40 pace so I did back it down since I knew I had to make 6 min. Next week my intervals are 7 minutes. I may get brave and try to bump the pace up. Timing my threshold pace and recovery does make the time pass quickly on the dreadmill and I do feel like it works my muscles in a good way.

I am back to trying to follow my training guide. I have been training for a 12 mile trail run in Oct.  I blew my plan by running a race a month early but I feel like following this plan helped me accomplish my goal.

I think I am going to keep intervals as part of my workout plan each week even if I am not training for an event. Now if the heat would just go away I could enjoy my long runs again! Summer was supposed to be over but today it sure feels like a 90 degree summer day I have been wishing away.