Saturday, September 14, 2013

Trail Day

The weather today is fabbbbbulous. Cool breezes, and low humidity. I left the house and headed to my favorite trail. I even got to sleep in because finally I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to try to survive and avoid strong sun and heat. I am not sure why but I put on my Brooks Ghost instead of my trail shoes today. The shoes are super comfy, but I really needed my trail shoes. Mental note - my shoes are not going to make me faster on trails, in fact I think these made me slower. My Brooks don't have quite the grip as my Montrails.


I took off for my first long run since my half. It felt so amazing not to be experiencing heat stroke like symptoms. I just tried to enjoy the run and I didn't check my Garmin for pace the whole run. I knew it was slow, but I tried not to let it bug me. I haven't been on this trail in almost two months. The hills were kicking my rear! No power running up the hills today, just trudging along at snail speed. I am going to have to work back up to powering the hills.

Today toward the end of my run I wondered how in the heck I ever lasted 13.1 miles. I tried to briefly talk myself into another 2 miles when I was nearing completion but my mental strength wasn't there today. I didn't really feel bad, but I couldn't find any reason to keep going either. I think I need to sign for another half and do it again. I need that extra motivation to push that far.

The good part of trail running is 8.6 miles and my hip isn't aching and I don't feel any soreness in my knees. I have to learn to enjoy a sense of accomplishment that isn't attached to fast splits.

10:05, 10:18, 10:34,10:56,12:13,11:31,10:24,12:31,10:39
1:35:06 avg. 11:03