Monday, September 23, 2013

Trail Walk with a Little Running

Today when I walked out of work the cool air was to inviting to pass up. I decided to take a trail walk in an area I haven't been since last year. It felt strange to fill my camelbak and go. I love it for walking, hiking, and biking. I still haven't found the perfect hydration pack for running yet. 
When I finished the moon was out

I started off at a brisk pace and enjoyed the cool air. It didn't take long and I wanted to run some. No real plan just trotting along for the pleasure of it. Easy pace run for about a minute then walk for awhile. Running a little is okay with my pack on, but it does get irritating, so trying to wear it for even a short non stop run would probably make me crazy. Sometime during mile two my headphones started the warning bell so I knew they were going to die. Dead about ten minutes later. I didn't have anywhere to tuck them away so I wore them around my neck. I realized over the next few miles I liked the feeling of freedom with nothing on my ears. I turned my IPOD on and kept the music low. I enjoyed myself so much I think I will get brave my next run and try to just turn my IPOD on in my running belt and see how I do. I have never ran without headphones. Who knows I may love it right?

After I was on the trail for awhile I came to a turn I wasn't use to. I tried to take mental notes but you know trees and trail start to similar when the sun sets. Anyway, I took a new turn and came out of the woods in a whole new area. I realized there was another whole piece about two miles I had no idea existed. (Smiles) I think it's going to be my next run spot. It's actually not that far from the four mile loop I usually do so it will give me a change of scenery. Woot!  
In my excitement walking/jogging thinking about my new route I realized I needed to get back to my car.
The short version...
  • I made a wrong turn even though I made mental notes lol
  • It got very dark
  • My last mile I could have used a head lamp
  • Had my pepper spray in hand
  • Saw a huge buck who looked at me like, "Get out!"
  • Will plan better next time-darn short days
These are the kind of temps that make me want to be out for hours. I ended up taking a 9.20 mile walk in 2:13 my half marathon time, must be a good number for me, thinking I should buy a lottery ticket.