Sunday, October 20, 2013

Do I Need a Goal?

I have been following a training guide for the past few months to run a race I ended up not running in Montana. It was a 12.45 mile trail event. After my Danville Half debacle, flop, failure, (2:36:49) I was feeling dismayed. It's not the time that bugs me so much, it's that fact that I couldn't actually keep running the entire time and ended up walking. I decided I just needed to enjoy my vacation, run as much as I could, and avoid another disastrous race. My confidence was shot when I got off the plane in Montana. I am so thankful the Farmville High Bridge Half (2:13:03) went so well, it seems like a dream and gives me hope I may be able to do it again one day. I fully intended during vacation to try to run that distance again and as I sit here I am a little disturbed with myself  I didn't make that happen.

I really learned to like intervals following my three runs a week marathon training plan. The pretty Fall day and sunshine worked a little magic on my motivation and I ran intervals today on the treadmill...5 minute @ 9:22 pace x 5 with a recovery minute in between. I ended up bumping the last one up to an 8:57 pace. It really does help to pass time on the treadmill and it feels like a very different workout than pavement.

Training for a race did make me challenge myself and try new things but for now I am going to try to focus on strength training and maintaining the base I have. I read a quote that helped me:
"I live without goals, for the most part. It’s absolutely liberating, and contrary to what you might have been taught, it absolutely doesn't mean you stop achieving things."
Post written by Leo Babauta.